18 October 2012Hacienda 30
Disc 1 is Graeme Park's baby and features upfront UK and US garage and uplifting house - indeed, the opening track in this mix, Let The Music Lift You Up by Darlene Lewis, sets the tone perfectly for the next 70-odd minutes with similar classics such as Inner City's Share My Love, MK's Burning, Shawn Christopher's Make My Love (the days when the name Stonebridge appeared on all the hot remixes of the age) and the underrated slammer, Rushing by Loni Clark.
Mike Pickering takes up the knobs on Disc 2 and edges it with a ripe selection of UK bleep, Chicago house and deeper techno that ranges from Sweet Exorcist's killer Testone, Hashim's must-have Al-Naafyish and Pickering's own Carino from his T-Coy project. There isn't a dud among these.
Somehow, Peter Hook's Disc 3 melting pot of Raze, De'Lacy, New Order, The Stone Roses, Robin S and Happy Mondays bubbles like a student night should, before getting all grown up with Strings of Life, Salsa House and Ain't No Love (Ain't No Use).
The release comes with a specially designed booklet featuring previously-unseen photography and a focus on the club's 30th Anniversary Party that took place in the Haçienda Apartments' car park on 21 May 2012 - 30 years to the day after the club first opened.
With thanks to Paul Pledger at FlipsideFlipside Reviews for review extracts. Read his full review at flipsideflipsidereviews.blogspot.co.uk.
Hacienda 30 is out now via New State Music on iTunes (UK), Amazon (UK) and other outlets.
More info at FAC 51 The Hacienda, Facebook and Twitter.
CD1 Graeme Park
1. Darlene Lewis - Let The Music (Lift You Up) (Reese Inner City Club Mix)
2. Inner City - Share My Life (Graeme Park Vocal Mix)
3. Shawn Christopher - Make My Love (Stonebridge Main Mix)
4. Suzi Carr - All Over Me (Doc & Baron Club Mix)
5. Kim Beacham - True Love (Full Vocal Mix)
6. Solution - Feels So Right (Original Victor Simonelli Mix)
7. Lil' Mo' Yin Yang - Reach (Kenny Dope Remix)
8. Loni Clark - Rushing (Club Mix)
9. Murk - If You Really Love Someone (Original Mix)
10. Love Tribe - Stand Up (Narcotic Mix)
11. MK - Burning (MK Extended Remix)
12. The Reese Project - Colour Of Love (Reese Deep Mix)
13. The Sound Factory - Cuban Gigolo (Original Mix)
14. Landlord ft. Dex - I Like It (Blow Out Dub)
15. Masters At Work ft. India - I Can't Get No Sleep (MK Dub Mix)
16. The Untouchables - Lil' Louie's Anthem
17. De-lite ft. Osca Child - Wild Times (Mayday Mix)
18. Cut The Q - Who Needs A Love Like That (Graeme Park & John Crossley Groove Remix)
19. Seduction - (You're My One And Only) True Love (New York House Mix)
CD2 Mike Pickering
1. Sweet Exorcist - Testone
2. Nitro DeLuxe - Let's Get Brutal (This Brutal House)
3. Reese & Santonio - The Sound
4. Arnold Jarvis - Take Some Time Out
5. Jamie Principle - Baby Want's To Ride
6. Circuit ft. Koffi - Shelter Me (The Helter Skelter Mix)
7. Hashim - Al-Naafyish (The Soul)
8. Orange Lemon - Dreams Of Santa Anna
9. T-Coy - Carino
10. The Minutemen - Bingo Bongo (Loops)
11. The Fog - Been A Long Time
12. Rio Rhythm Band - Carnival De Casa
13. Black Riot - A Day In The Life
14. Phase II - Reachin' (Brotherhood Mix)
15. Robert Owens - I'll Be Your Friend
16. Sterling Void - Runaway Girl (Pimp Dub Mix)
17. George Morel ft. Shadii - I Found It (The Dub Mix)
18. X-Press 2 - Muzik Xpress
19. The Reese Project - Direct Me (Joey Negro Disco Blend Remix)
20. S.O.U.L. S.Y.S.T.E.M. - It's Gonna Be A Lovely Day (The Palladium House Anthem)
CD3 Peter Hook
1. Man Ray - Numbers
2. Raze - Break 4 Love
3. De'Lacy - Hideaway (Deep Dish Remix)
4. Soft House Company - What You Need
5. Charles B - Lack Of Love
6. New Order - Fine Time (Steve 'Silk' Hurley Mix)
7. Kevin Saunderson - The Groove That Won't Stop (Detroit Special Mix)
8. The Stone Roses - Made Of Stone (808 State Remix)
9. Happy Mondays - Kinky Afro (Euro Mix)
10. Clubland - (I'm Under) Love Strain (David Morales Dub)
11. Degrees Of Motion - Do You Want It Right Now (King Street Mix)
12. Rhythim Is Rhythim - Strings Of Life
13. Moby - Go (Woodtick Remix)
14. Robin S - Show Me Love (Stonebridge Club Mix)
15. Richie Rich - Salsa House (Original Mix)
16. Sub Sub ft. Melanie Williams - Ain't No Love (Ain't No Use)
17. Turntable Orchestra – You're Gonna Miss Me
18. FPI Project - Everybody (All Over The World)
19. Playtime Toons - Shaker Song (Original Mix)
Post punk cult band The Names emerged in the winter of 1977-1978 as The Passengers, gathering immediate attention on the local Brussels scene. In 1979, after a series of successful gigs and a crucial step forward opening for Magazine, they recorded their first E.P. ("Spectators Of Life") and attracted the interest of prominent label Factory Records in Manchester.
Their first British studio session (at Stockport's Strawberry Studio) produced the single "Nightshift" / "I Wish I Could Speak Your Language (Fac 29). Receiving enthusiastic reviews in the UK and abroad, it marked the start of a long and fruitful collaboration with producer Martin Hannett. The album "Swimming" followed as well as more singles, including "Calcutta" and "The Astronaut".
- extract from the official website biography