30 July 2010You're Entitled To An Opinion in paperback
25 July 2010Selling out
However, the new issue which came out in June is still available to buy via eBay with Paypal (only) for GBP 3.00 plus worldwide shipping and handling. Scream City 5 features new interviews with Fiona Allen, Mark Reeder, Andrew Penhallow, Michael H Shamberg, Ike Yard plus much more.
15 July 2010The Magnetic Fields Tour T-Shirts On Sale
M + E, the design duo behind the merchandise booth of the last Magnetic Fields' tours, have launched a mini-store from their own website to sell a selection of t-shirts from the "Realism" tour.
The t-shirts, available in several designs and a range of sizes, can be ordered directly from m-plus-e.com.
In other news, Strange Powers: Stephin Merritt and The Magnetic Fields continues its festival run at Outfest, the 28th Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. Tickets for the Saturday, July 17 showing at the DGA Theater are still available from outfest.org.
In honour of Ian Curtis's birthday tomorrow (he would've been 54), our friends at the Part Time Punks radio show on on KXLU (88.9FM in Los Angeles or via kxlu.com everywhere else) will be playing the entire 15 track gig by Joy Division in Paris at Les Bains Douches on 18 December 1979, from 3-6pm Pacific Standard Time.
Mike from Part Time Punks explains the provenance of this recording: "This gig has NEVER been broadcast in its entirety before and is NOT available anywhere else. The concert was recorded from the soundboard professionally by France Inter Radio for a program by Benard Lenoir, but he has never broadcast more than a dozen of the tracks (some in 1979 and some more just a few months back on the anniversary of Ian's passing). And only 9 of these tracks were included on the LP/CD release by MMC/Get back in 2001, and in lesser quality. So. With no exaggeration, I can tell you: this will be a world premiere."
The rest of the programme will be devoted to bands who were inspired by Joy Division, from labelmates A Certain Ratio, Section 25 and Crispy Ambulance to lost DIY greats from either side of the pond: Endgame, Young Weasels, Razor Penguins, In-Sex, Soviet Sex, Punctured Tough Guy, etc, etc.
13 July 2010A Certain Ratio live at The Factory 17 July
Tickets priced £14.50 are still available via factorymanchester.com and the price includes the aftershow party until 4am.
11 July 2010Scream City - the Factory Records fanzine
- A Factory Trip Around The World - the art of international collecting by Andrew James
- An interview with FAC 51 The Hacienda's (and Smack The Pony's) Fiona Allen
- The Distractions by David Quantick
- An exclusive extract from James Nice's new book about Factory Records 'Shadowplayers' plus a Q&A with James Nice
- Closer, Karamazov and K550 by Ian McCartney
- Looking From A Hilltop... at Lytham St Annes (or "When Interviews Go Wrong") - a salutary lesson about the dark art of the interview and a touching tribute to Larry Cassidy by David Nolan
- An interview with Shark Vegas man and remixer extraordinaire Mark Reeder
- Matthew Robertson talks to Factory Australasia man Andrew Penhallow
- Factory Over America - Scream City talks to the US wing of Factory Records with new interviews with Michael H Shamberg and Ike Yard's Stuart Argabright and Michael Diekmann
Scream City is still an old school fanzine and is made from paper, ink and staples.
06 July 2010Shadowplayers competition winner
A copy of Shadowplayers: The Rise and Fall of Factory Records by James Nice plus the Shadowplayers dvd and the Drastic Plastic reissue of Always Now by Section 25 will be on their way soon. The correct answer to the question was "William" (the name of Tony Wilson's Weimaraner).
Thanks to everyone who entered. We'll do it again no doubt.
03 July 2010Scream City 5 CDR tracklisting
1. Section 25 Poppyfields (Live at Plan K) 5.12
2. Ike Yard Sweep 4.56
3. Thick Pigeon Merry Christmas 3.41
4. The Wake Something Outside (Live at Plan K) 5.35
5. The Names Zeroes 5.30
6. The Durutti Column Untitled Guitar Piece 1989 1.46
7. Biting Tongues Iyahbhoone (Live at Plan K) 6.09
8. The Distractions (I Thought You Were Dead) Josephine (Hollywood Mix) 2.02
9. Shark Vegas You Hurt Me (Radio Edit) 4.47
10. Fidelity Kastrow & Spartak Bad Love (Reeder's Playing the Game Radio Mix) 3.19
Scream City 5 (and a few copies of Scream City 4) are available to buy on eBay priced £3.00 plus Worldwide P+P.
Lerchenfelder Gurtel 37
Thu 16 Sep - The Musician, 42 Crafton Street, Leicester, LE1 2DE
Fri 22 Oct - The North Bar, Town Hall Street, Blackburn, Lancs, BB2 1AG
Sat 20 Nov - The Factory, Manchester
Sun 5 Dec - Rhiz, Vienna, Austria
Sat 11 Dec - The Beat Club, 22 Corporation Street, Blackpool, Lancs, FY1 1EJ
More details at section25.com
Post punk cult band The Names emerged in the winter of 1977-1978 as The Passengers, gathering immediate attention on the local Brussels scene. In 1979, after a series of successful gigs and a crucial step forward opening for Magazine, they recorded their first E.P. ("Spectators Of Life") and attracted the interest of prominent label Factory Records in Manchester.
Their first British studio session (at Stockport's Strawberry Studio) produced the single "Nightshift" / "I Wish I Could Speak Your Language (Fac 29). Receiving enthusiastic reviews in the UK and abroad, it marked the start of a long and fruitful collaboration with producer Martin Hannett. The album "Swimming" followed as well as more singles, including "Calcutta" and "The Astronaut".
- extract from the official website biography